Credit card fraud is an unfortunate part of the current merchant life cycle. We, at CMS recommend you implement the following practices to help reduce the risk you will be affected by fraud:
• Do not complete a transaction if the authorization request was declined. Do not repeat the authorization request after receiving a decline.
• If you receive a “call” message, call the authorization center and follow instructions.
• Ensure you obtain a signed receipt for all card present transactions. Always compare the signature on the receipt with the signature on the back of the card.
• Ensure that all transactions entered in error, are voided immediately.
• If your establishment has policies regarding merchandise returns, refunds, or service cancellation, disclose these policies to the cardholder at the time of the transaction.
• When refunding a customer, always process the credit on the same card that was used for the original sale.
If you believe that a transaction is questionable, contact us at 1-877-267-4324 option 2 for assistance.
Please feel free to download a copy of the Merchant Handbook for your records.
Article ID: 36000166998